cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 4.0.M5 release v2
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2017 06:30:03 GMT
Since I was the one who advised Nikita to stick with M5, let me comment on this. I am aware
that many projects at Apache increment their build numbers upon failed votes. I just felt
there wasn't really any logical justification for it in our case, and we'd be doing it entirely
out of puristic reasons.

> For the future, we should never "unrelease" anything.

I agree with "no unrelease", but we haven't "released" anything yet. We just posted some files
for review.

> Since you didn't delete the artifacts I already downloaded to my machine, there is confusion.

PMC members know exactly what happened. So I don't think that's a problem for them. And if
we are concerned about an outside person who may have downloaded those artifacts, then I don't
think that renaming the final set to M6 would make any difference. In both cases someone would
get stuck with a signed but unapproved copy of M5.

The only remotely possible cause for confusion that I can think of is if an outside person
used that temporary Maven repo, and now the M5 artifacts are stuck in his local ~/.m2/repository
and they need a manual refresh. Again, I am hoping this won't confuse any of the PMC members.

Andrus

> On Feb 25, 2017, at 3:58 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> I agree with Mike. Since you didn't delete the artifacts I already downloaded to my machine,
there is confusion. For the future, we should never "unrelease" anything. At the very least,
please post hashes of the new files to this mailing list.