cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <blackn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne Modeler Extensions
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2017 22:12:57 GMT
Hi Andrus,

I expect the XML format I'm proposing to change, so discussion is quite
welcome.

I'd forgotten I had included DB comments, but I can see the value of them.
I suppose if you are doing a sync with the DB, if there are differences,
query the user for which one to keep/use?  Our use-cases never involve DB
syncs, so this could be quite a blind spot for me.  (We maintain Flyway
migration scripts separately and update the Cayenne model by hand as
needed.)

We had looked at overriding getters/setters for annotations, but we didn't
want to do that 1000s of times, so we gave up.  I see value in the
superclass being able to have annotations along with JavaDocs for various
attributes and relationships, plus the class itself.  The superclass is
essentially maintained outside of the IDE currently, anyway (you may look
at the code, but you don't edit it), so I don't think it'll be too bad.

I'm also viewing this as a separate XML file.  One that wouldn't need to be
deployed, although it wouldn't hurt if present.  Nothing in it is required
for runtime support, unlike the main model.  Everything is class-generation
extensions only.

Thanks,

mrg