cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Cayenne Modeler Extensions
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2017 14:17:23 GMT

Re: https://github.com/apache/cayenne-modeler/blob/master/docs/XML-Extensions.md

Something to discuss in more detail. I understand the value of all this extra metadata, I
am just concerned about its maintenance and integration in Cayenne.

* Some of it we won't be able to ignore outside the Modeler. Specifically DB comments need
to be reverse-engineered with Maven/Ant/Gradle. So it has to be a part of the core model.

* Also concerned about managing annotations in the Modeler. Placing them in XML makes it clunky.
Annotations are not a part of "ORM" paradigm (as they have nothing to do with DB), but now
the users will have to maintain them outside of the IDE. My current approach is to override
a given getter or setter in subclass and place annotations there. Not ideal, but highly practical.

Andrus