cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From buddha <jyothipras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JavaFX and Boutique
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2016 10:10:01 GMT
Cool… thanks.

On 24/12/16, 3:38 PM, "Aristedes Maniatis" <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

    Sure, it would be more elegant to call the Cayenne API directly rather than through ant.

    I added some instructions to the plugin to show how it might be called. I think several
things are needed to make this really nice:

    1. call the Cayenne API directly without ant
    2. clean the whole thing up (it was written in 2012) to ensure it maps to modern gradle
practices
    3. publish it to the gradle plugin repo
    4. add any more features people might want
    5. Remove the dependency on a specific version of Cayenne and allow the user to define
that in their gradle build somewhere

    Ari

    On 24/12/16 8:51pm, buddha wrote:
    > Ari, they are useful…
    >
    > However, Our understanding is that we will build native gradle plugins that don’t
rely on Ant tasks… So just checking if our understanding is right before we begin working
on it.

    > On 24/12/16, 1:21 PM, "Aristedes Maniatis" <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
    >
    >     You can easily enough call the ant tasks from gradle, and I've made a wrapper
around those ant tasks. But I didn't bother to support the things I didn't need immediately,
so it needs to be fleshed out.

> [...]
    >     > http://cayenne.apache.org/docs/4.0/tutorial/index.html
    >     > 2. We are currently playing with Gradle native plugins.
    >     >
    >     > Thanks,
    >     > Rohit Vaidya
    >     >
    >     > On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:11 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>
    >     > wrote:
    >     >
    >     >> Hi Rohit,
    >     >>
    >     >> Great! Feel free to ask questions here.
    >     >>
    >     >> The best place to check which configuration properties are supported
for
    >     >> each tool is probably the Maven "mojo" classes [1]. Maven plugin docs
[2]
    >     >> should also be up-to-date.
    >     >>
    >     >> Andrus
    >     >>
    >     >> [1] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/tree/master/plugins/
    >     >> maven-cayenne-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/tools
    >     >> [2] http://cayenne.apache.org/docs/4.0/cayenne-guide/
    >     >> including-cayenne-in-project.html#maven-projects
    >     >>
    >     >>> On Dec 14, 2016, at 9:26 PM, Rohit Vaidya <rohitvvv@gmail.com>
wrote:
    >     >>>
    >     >>> Hello Andrus,
    >     >>> +1 for the Gradle task. We will explore Gradle Native Plugins.
    >     >>>
    >     >>> Thanks,
    >     >>> Rohit Vaidya
    >     >>>
    >     >>>
    >     >>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:00 AM, buddha <jyothiprasadb@gmail.com>
    >     >> wrote:
    >     >>>
    >     >>>> Hey Andrus,
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>> I just logged into the jira. We have had a discussion in our
java user
    >     >>>> group monthly meeting this Saturday. I never worked with Gradle
myself,
    >     >> but
    >     >>>> there are a few who did in JUG. I will look at other tasks in
the list
    >     >> you
    >     >>>> have given, and let u know. Or, may be I will learn and take
help of
    >     >> some
    >     >>>> of the people in JUG to take up the ones you listed below.
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>> Thanks
    >     >>>> Buddha
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>> On 13/12/16, 11:21 PM, "Andrus Adamchik" <andrus@objectstyle.org>
    >     >> wrote:
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>    Buddha (and others who wanted to join the fun) --
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>    As you see it is taking us a bit of time to get the JavaFX
Modeler
> [...]
    >     >>>> other parts of Cayenne in the meantime, I posted a broad TODO
list for
    >     >> the
    >     >>>> next release recently [1]. Perhaps you can give us a hand on
some of
    >     >> those
    >     >>>> tasks?
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>    A good candidate (if you work with Gradle at all) may be
#10 -
    >     >>>> providing Gradle versions of Cayenne tools:
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>    * cgen - template-based class generator.
    >     >>>>    * cdbimport - DB to ORM synchronization tool.
    >     >>>>    * cdbgen - ORM to DB generator tool.
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>    These tools work from the Modeler, and are also integrated
into Ant
    >     >>>> and Maven [2]. The Gradle option currently is to call the Ant
tasks.
    >     >> We'd
    >     >>>> like to provide "Gradle-native" plugins instead. There are a
few options
    >     >>>> for writing those. We lean towards using Java (to isolate us
from the
    >     >> whole
    >     >>>> Groovy vs. Kotlin thing going on in the Gradle world).
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>    Other tasks from my list [1] are #6 and #7. They are isolated
and
    >     >>>> mostly well-defined, though will require a bit more discussion
and
    >     >> delving
    >     >>>> into Cayenne runtime stack.
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>    So what do you think?
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>    Andrus
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>    [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/
    >     >>>> b69fa0eb0457507d5720103a9627252c696b2faec0b71db52762a7c7@%
    >     >>>> 3Cdev.cayenne.apache.org%3E
    >     >>>>    [2] http://cayenne.apache.org/docs/4.0/cayenne-guide/
    >     >>>> including-cayenne-in-project.html#maven-projects
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>
    >     >>>>> On Dec 12, 2016, at 11:52 PM, Michael Gentry <blacknext@gmail.com>
    >     >>>> wrote:
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> A new Git repository is still on my to-do list.  Been a
relatively
    >     >>>> busy
    >     >>>>> time, so it's been bumped below other more important things.
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> mrg
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Andrus Adamchik <
    >     >>>> andrus@objectstyle.org>
    >     >>>>> wrote:
    >     >>>>>
    >     >>>>>> I just committed my first experiment with JavaFX and
Bootique [1].
    >     >>>> It
    >     >>>>>> enables injection into JavaFX controllers [2] and gives
access to
    >     >>>> DI from
    >     >>>>>> the Application class. The implementation is a bit invasive
    >     >>>> (requires
    >     >>>>>> framework superclass of Application), as we can't easily
take over
    >     >>>> the
    >     >>>>>> startup sequence, but otherwise works fine. At least
in my simple
    >     >>>> example :)
    >     >>>>>>
    >     >>>>>> My total exposure to JavaFX is a total of 2 hours, so
I am pretty

    --
    Aristedes Maniatis