cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From buddha <jyothipras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gradle plugin
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2016 10:27:56 GMT
Thanks Andrus, for the clarification. Will start on these.

On 24/12/16, 3:53 PM, "Andrus Adamchik" <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

    > Our understanding is that we will build native gradle plugins that don’t rely on
Ant tasks…

    That would be my preference. Don't want to depend on Ant tasks. Support for those has
been on the decline, and they have some user-facing API peculiarities that I don't want to
see propagated to Gradle. So let's try to build native plugins, using Maven Mojos as API prototypes
as I suggested earlier [1].

    >> 1. The cayenne documentation says "Cayenne artifacts are available from
    >> Maven Central for use with Maven, Ivy, Gradle or any other dependency
    >> management tool"

    My understanding that "canonical" repo for Gradle plugins is this: https://plugins.gradle.org/
So that's where we publish them when we do our next official release.

    >> So what is the expected out of this task? We found the following xml in the cayenne-tools
project.

    Let's ignore the Ant tasks for a moment.

    >> 2.Will the Gradle native plugin be similar to the Ant classes that we see
    >> under the cayennetools project?

    We need matching Gradle plugins mirroring the API/configuration of the corresponding Maven
plugins [1]. We do not need "cdataport", but we do need these 3:

    * cgen [2]
    * cdbimport [3]
    * cdbgen [4]

    >> 4.Is there a JIRA issue to track this task so that we can pick it up and work
on it?

    Good idea. I just created 3 Jiras - [2,3,4]

    Andrus

    [1] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/tree/master/plugins/maven-cayenne-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/tools
    [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2180
    [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2181
    [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2182

    > On Dec 24, 2016, at 12:51 PM, buddha <jyothiprasadb@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > Ari, they are useful…
    >
    > However, Our understanding is that we will build native gradle plugins that don’t
rely on Ant tasks… So just checking if our understanding is right before we begin working
on it.

    > On 24/12/16, 1:21 PM, "Aristedes Maniatis" <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
    >
    >    You can easily enough call the ant tasks from gradle, and I've made a wrapper
around those ant tasks. But I didn't bother to support the things I didn't need immediately,
so it needs to be fleshed out.