cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: JavaFX modeler
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2016 15:16:14 GMT
Hi Mike,

> On Nov 19, 2016, at 4:26 PM, Michael Gentry <blacknext@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, GitHub has certainly been convenient for me thus far, but I
> understand your concern if someone issues a pull request (which hasn't
> happened) who isn't part of the ASF.

Talking of contributors, there was a request from Hyderabad JUG where I had presented recently
to get involved in JavaFX Modeler development. I'll start a separate thread on it.

> The general organization of the project is in OK shape currently, although I expect more
refactoring over time.

None of this prevents it from being developed at Apache. We don't have to officially release
it, but I think having the code right here and usign the dev@ list to discuss features would
help.

> Why are you thinking a separate Git repository?

Cayenne build system is crumbling under its weight (remember the whole Travis effort). I'd
like to put a stop on it. Bootique project is a good case study - we develop each "subsystem"
in a separate repo, still release them together. This requires an operational CI (that we
already have in Cayenne) to ensure smooth integration, but allows to work on modules in isolation.
(Kind of like you do now, only at Apache :))

> What would a Bootique launcher entail?  Just launching it from Bootique or
> other Bootique things inside the modeler?

Bootique will provide the launcher, but will also provide injection (Guice) and modularity
system. Remember we had a discussion of modeler plugins like 10 years ago. We'll get that
for free with Bootique. E.g. you'll be able to "contribute" menu items from user extensions,
etc. Also I hope it will assist in Swing migration, as we can cleanly abstract the "service
layer", meaning we can evolve common services for both front-ends.

Andrus