cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: JavaFX modeler
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2016 18:50:38 GMT
> On Nov 21, 2016, at 8:11 PM, buddha <jyothiprasadb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrus,
>
> We have spoken earlier over email regarding a meetup in Java User Group, Hyderabad. I
am interested in contributing, not sure where to begin though.

> Thanks
> Buddha

Hi Buddha,

Good seeing you here. I was also in touch with Rohit, who should be now subscribed to this
list.

Some background for the rest of the dev@ subscribers... Rohit and Buddha are the folks running
Hyderabad Java User Group. When I was there a little more than a week ago, we discussed contributing
to open source projects and specifically to Apache Cayenne. Rohit mentioned that he and some
of his colleagues have JavaFX skills, which we certainly need now.

Now some background for Rohit, Buddha and others who might want to join the fun. Apache Cayenne
is shipped with CayenneModeler mapping tool written in Java Swing. Swing being yesterday's
news, we decided after some discussion on this list that we'd like to create a new Modeler
written in JavaFX. Other technologies were floated as alternatives (mostly various JS frameworks).
But since we are all Java programmers and will need to support this codebase for years to
come, JavaFX was the only realistic choice. Michael Gentry started a prototype under his GitHub
account at https://github.com/mrg/CMP . In this thread we started discussing how to bring
this code to Apache so that we can all develop it here.

My recommendations for the new contributors are the following:

* Fork Cayenne on GitHub and make sure you can build it locally, including the current CayenneModeler
(http://cayenne.apache.org/dev/building-cayenne.html)
* Go through Cayenne tutorial (http://cayenne.apache.org/docs/4.0/tutorial/index.html), but
use your local build of master branch instead of an official release for the code and for
the Modeler.
* Since you will be working with the Modeler, familiarize yourself with Cayenne project structure
both in its visual Modeler representation, and how it is stored in XML. Things like DbEntities,
DbAttributes, DbRelationships and their Obj counterparts. You will need to understand how
the ORM mapping is structured, as the Modeler is a tool to work with it.

In the meantime, current Cayenne developers will need to figure out how to organize the tasks
for the JavaFX modeler.

@Mike:

since you are the author of the prototype, would you mind handling code transition to Apache
and also explain the state of the JavaFX Modeler now, and your thoughts on the next dev steps
and how they can be parallelized? We've sorta already started doing that, but let's get to
the specifics.

Thanks,
Andrus