cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne ROP Improvements
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2016 12:47:53 GMT
Sure, but let's not lose sight of what makes Cayenne ROP interesting and different. It exposes
the whole stack of Cayenne contexts, nested contexts, rollback, prefetch, pagination, etc
and not just the data objects themselves.

Otherwise it is just another restful, json, routing stack of which there are quite a few.
Not that those simple rest stacks aren't useful, but what we have in Cayenne ROP is really
quite different and interesting.

By coincidence I'm just today thinking about the lifecycle of data in the backbonejs library.
That a javascript library for creating a data model and dealing with routing. It already has
connectors for LocalStorage (storing data in the browser db). And of course for json/ajax.
The question is, should we overlay a concept of Context to group the data in the model, track
changes and move it from LocalStorage to ajax onto the server?

Ari

On 8/07/2016 10:16pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> I suspect we'll need to step away from "blind" serialization of our server-side data
structures and devise a JSON object protocol for any JS integrations to become practical.
This may actually be simpler then it sounds (LinkRest does a good deal of it already: http://linkrest.io/docs/protocol.html
) and if there's a right client-side framework to work with such protocol, it would certainly
be a big motivation.

--
Aristedes Maniatis