cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne ROP Improvements
Date Thu, 05 May 2016 10:40:55 GMT
On 5/05/2016 7:35pm, Savva Kolbachev wrote:
> Also I want to suggest to use Protostuff serialization instead of Hessian
> by default. What do you think about it?

Nicely done Savva. I know that our application will be the first off the rank to adopt this
code, so once we run it through our testing and QA, I think that Cayenne should be switched
to protostuff by default.

There are no downsides and plenty of upsides: better performance and fewer known bugs.

We'll know once we get the entire stack together inside a real application, but I've got high
hopes that the combination of the new serialiser and HTTP/2 will have great benefits for applications
running over high latency links ( > 50ms).

For others thinking about ROP, we've got it working really well once you keep in mind a combination
of Cayenne pagination (which allows you to efficiently send a 100,000 hollow object list over
the internet in a second or two) and prefetching (which dramatically improves performance
by combining many high latency 'chatty' connections into a single request-response).

With HTTP/2 we can reduce the latency of establishing SSL connections (and add compression
to the headers). And with protocol-buffers we'll be able to send LocalDate and other JDK8
objects without problem.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis