cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne ROP Improvements
Date Thu, 05 May 2016 10:44:49 GMT
On 5/05/2016 7:35pm, Savva Kolbachev wrote:
> Protostuff (licensed under Apache 2.0 licence) is based on Google's
> Protocol-Buffers (Protobuf) but has some optimizations and some cool things
> like runtime serialization graph of objects (like Hessian). It also could
> generate schema on runtime so we shouldn't define .proto files although it
> might increase efficiency. It works faster than Hessian and could handle
> Java8 Date and Time types. Here is some benchmarks. Take a look at Full
> Object Graph Serializers section.
> http://hperadin.github.io/jvm-serializers-report/report.html
> https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/wiki

According to those benchmarks there appears to be no performance or size penalty to using
protostuff over protobuffers. Am I reading that right?

I don't really understand... doesn't the serialiser have to construct a .proto definition
and then include it in the message? So shouldn't it be faster/smaller to predefine these?

If we did, we could create them with velocity in the same way we create Java _superclasses
today. Fairly trivial I'm guessing.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis