cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: merging process
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 13:36:03 GMT
On 5/04/2016 10:27pm, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> There's been a lot of discussion on git policies and merging.
>
> Here's a summary but you'll need to be an asf member to read it though.
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/foundation/board/github-discussion/proposals/

While interesting, I didn't see anything that gives us clear guidance on how we handle provenance
and copyright assignment of pull requests on github.

On another project I manage, I've requested that all contributors add their name to a CONTRIBUTORS
document as part of their pull request. It is easy and works will inside github pull requests
processes. [1] This mirrors the old Jira approach of uploading patches (there was a message
inside the Jira upload page about copyright and assignment I recall).

Yes, this particular commit is fairly trivial, but we should start to develop robust policies
so we don't get caught out. I recommend some simple changes:

1. We use PR and issue templates. In particular, we add some text to the PR template about
copyright. We can ask on the legal mailing list for some recommended text. [2]

2. Although the templates are useful, I think it is important get a record of their copyright
assignment into git commits, and into the project history forever.

3. We get some clarity about what constitutes a 'simple patch'

4. We start adding labels to PRs on github:

* CLA filed
* CLA not needed

I'm not sure how we match CLAs on file with github handles.

Ari

[1] https://github.com/ari/jobsworth/blob/master/CONTRIBUTORS

[2] https://help.github.com/articles/helping-people-contribute-to-your-project/

--