cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: merging process
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 13:41:55 GMT
Sorry for being unclear.  The url was on the topic of -no-ff issues.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
> On 5/04/2016 10:27pm, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
>> There's been a lot of discussion on git policies and merging.
>>
>> Here's a summary but you'll need to be an asf member to read it though.
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/foundation/board/github-discussion/proposals/
>
> While interesting, I didn't see anything that gives us clear guidance on how we handle
provenance and copyright assignment of pull requests on github.

> On another project I manage, I've requested that all contributors add their name to a
CONTRIBUTORS document as part of their pull request. It is easy and works will inside github
pull requests processes. [1] This mirrors the old Jira approach of uploading patches (there
was a message inside the Jira upload page about copyright and assignment I recall).

> Yes, this particular commit is fairly trivial, but we should start to develop robust
policies so we don't get caught out. I recommend some simple changes:

> 1. We use PR and issue templates. In particular, we add some text to the PR template
about copyright. We can ask on the legal mailing list for some recommended text. [2]

> 2. Although the templates are useful, I think it is important get a record of their copyright
assignment into git commits, and into the project history forever.