cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Cayenne Modeler Prototype
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:11:28 GMT
On 29/03/2016 9:05pm, Michael Gentry wrote:

> I can absolutely share.  Do you want just the FXML files?  I still have
> re-factoring work to do (the ObjEntity tab views are all in one FXML file
> currently, and I want to split it out into separate view files/controllers,
> for example -- one controller/view per tab), so I'm expecting them to
> change quite a bit.  My hope is that sometime next week I'll have it
> cleaned up enough to share all of it (Java, READMEs, etc).  Keep in mind
> this is very much a prototype/hack and I'm learning JavaFX as I go (only
> spent ~4 days on it so far).

Yeah, I'm new to JavaFX too. But I think I just need the XML to open it in SceneBuilder and
play with the UI?

> I think the other problem to solve is the icons. Myself, I typically use
>> > Cayenne Modeler once every few months. So every time I use it, I'm clicking
>> > on icons to try and remember which one is which. Is blob-blob-plus a new
>> > relationship?
>> >

> Tooltips are required for all of these.  Even when I've "lived" in CM, I
> still used the tooltips a lot...

I'm of the opinion that tooltips are effectively an admission of UX failure. if I have to
wait 2 seconds after hovering over each icon in turn, it's really not a great UI.

For something as complex as a database model, there really just aren't icons that mean anything
intuitive. So we need to give ourselves room for words. Sure, use icons (and colour) to quickly
show similar types of things. but ultimately only words are going to distinguish the choices.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis