cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <blackn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne Modeler Prototype
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 09:36:17 GMT
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 12:55 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org>
wrote:

> I can see what you are doing with the "inspector" however I don't think
> the hierarchy of information is very clear. That is, a user can understand
> the left tree shows DataDomain -> DataMap -> ObjEntity. And then they are
> shown a list of attributes and other properties of that ObjEntity in the
> right panel when they click in the tree.
>
> It is also clear that each of those properties (eg an attribute or
> relation) has a number of 'options' they can adjust, displayed in columns:
> name, Java type, path, etc.
>
> However I think it becomes confusing to then show additional options in a
> panel at the bottom: annotations, docs, etc.
>

> Possible solutions:
>
> 1. Move ObjEntity properties into the tree on the left. For an example of
> such an approach (from MySQL Workbench) look at this:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14832257/tree%20with%20attributes.png

The concern I'd have with the MySQL Workbench approach is there'd be a lot
more scrolling involved.  The model I have is already fairly large and I
don't like scrolling around it looking for things.  If I had to expand
attributes (and relationships) and select the property to edit, I think the
amount of scrolling would become quite hectic.  On my 27" iMac with CM 3.1
taking up the full vertical height of the screen, the tree view is about
1/2 shown.  At least one ObjEntity has enough attributes to more than fill
the vertical height, too.  If all of those properties start getting
expanded in the tree view, it would become quite chaotic, I think.

The reason for the JavaDoc, Imports, Annotations at the bottom (and I
haven't started the relationship tab yet) is it closely binds it to the
item you are editing.

The Class tab has JavaDoc/Imports just for that class.  The Attributes tab,
when you select an attribute to edit, will show the JavaDoc/Annotations
just for that attribute.  I expect the Relationships tab to be similar (if
we keep it separate).  If there are separate JavaDoc/etc tabs, there would
have to be sections for the class JavaDoc, a list/pulldown for you to
select attribute/relationship properties to edit JavaDoc/Annotations, etc.
Having to re-specify this information again seems redundant to me and would
discourage use, I think.  Plus, I think it it is nicer to see all of that
information in one place without having to click around and make extra
selections.

Thanks,

mrg