cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <blackn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne Modeler Prototype
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 10:05:37 GMT
I was going to do separate e-mails for each point, but now it feels like
too many e-mails and I'm being lazy.  :-)

mrg

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 12:55 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org>
wrote:

> 2. A three panel view. So, Michael's design but with the additional
> properties to the right rather than at the bottom.
>
> This sort of approach is common in email. Tree of mailboxes to the left.
> List of messages in the middle and the details to the right. We'd have
> domain/map/objentities in the left tree. Attributes in the middle. Options
> to the right.
>
> Pros:
>
> * Left tree is simpler than in option 1
> * Shows hierarchy better than option 0 (Michael's mockup)
>

> Cons
> * Middle panel (list of attributes) would need to have fewer columns than
> we do now in order to keep the width to a minimum.
> * Not as flexible as option 1
> * combination of tree and multi-panel approach might be confusing

I thought about doing this, too, but it felt like it would be too wide and
I like the idea of the attributes table showing me a lot of the information
at-a-glance.  (Admittedly, can't really get the JavaDocs/etc in the table,
but at least the names/types/locking can be seen quite readily.)    You
mention e-mail...my Apple Mail layout is set up very similar to this
prototype's layout (mailboxes left, messages in mailbox upper right,
message thread for selected message lower right).  I suppose with
wide-screen monitors more popular now, three columns might be doable, but I
think there is a lot of value in seeing the names/types/locking information
pretty readily, too, without needing additional work.

> 3. Move the additional options (javadoc, annotations, etc) into floating
> windows like the Relationship Inspector.
>
> Pros:
>
> * Least effort
> * Yeah, nothing else.. its a pretty horrible UI choice.
>
> Cons:
>
> * Ugh

I kind of despise those floating inspectors.  :-)  It feels like hidden
information that should be more immediately presented.  I feel I've spent
too much of my life bringing up those inspectors...

I had a quick go at mocking some of these up, but spent so much time
> fighting the tools that I didn't get very far. Michael, if convenient can
> you send through your SceneBuilder files to play with?

I can absolutely share.  Do you want just the FXML files?  I still have
re-factoring work to do (the ObjEntity tab views are all in one FXML file
currently, and I want to split it out into separate view files/controllers,
for example -- one controller/view per tab), so I'm expecting them to
change quite a bit.  My hope is that sometime next week I'll have it
cleaned up enough to share all of it (Java, READMEs, etc).  Keep in mind
this is very much a prototype/hack and I'm learning JavaFX as I go (only
spent ~4 days on it so far).

I think the other problem to solve is the icons. Myself, I typically use
> Cayenne Modeler once every few months. So every time I use it, I'm clicking
> on icons to try and remember which one is which. Is blob-blob-plus a new
> relationship?

Tooltips are required for all of these.  Even when I've "lived" in CM, I
still used the tooltips a lot...