cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <blackn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CMP: Search/Validate
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2016 02:17:42 GMT
Hi Ari,

I agree it would be nice to display validation errors in the UI (text
fields, etc), too, whenever we can do it reasonably.  Updating the
color/icon in the tree view is a great idea, too.

The biggest reason to have the search/validation in a list is to make it
easy to see them and quickly access them.  A typeahead dropdown for search
would be sweet, too, but even so, I think having a list of matches you can
quickly access again afterwards would be nice.  I don't see a reason why
you can't have both, and once you select an entry from the typeahead
dropdown, put all the matches in the search results tab in case it wasn't
the one you actually wanted.  I know from my personal usage patterns, I
search for a small substring and click through a few entities trying to
find the result I actually wanted from numerous matches.  Clicking through
them one-at-a-time helps me keep track of where I've looked, too.  Might
have to play around with a few designs.  At least with the FXML files, it
is relatively easy to change the UI around, especially when you have the
data behind it solved.

I'll do some thinking about putting the validations in the edit view at the
top, too.  I can see the value of that, especially with a longer validation
message.

Thanks,

mrg