cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Change audit framework
Date Mon, 29 Feb 2016 06:58:01 GMT
Thanks for the feedback :) I am glad that after a few years of iterations we finally nailed
it.

Andrus

> On Feb 28, 2016, at 2:52 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> I’d just like to chime in to mention how ridiculously useful this feature has turned
out to be. I’ve been using it since day one for audit logging, but I’ve since used it
in many other places to react to changes in the object graph. Really, really nice.

> Cheers,
> - hugi
>

>> On 9. okt. 2015, at 19:49, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>
>> Just committed an updated version that supports to-many relationships. Altered the
model of individual object changes to separately track changes to attributes, to-one and to-many
relationships:

>> https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/master/cayenne-lifecycle/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/lifecycle/changemap/ObjectChange.java
>>
>> Eventually we should probably reuse this model for internal Cayenne change tracking.
It seems universal enough, will allow ObjectContext users to inspect changes prior to commit
(which is doable now, but not easy), and will avoid multiple copies of "diffs".

>> Andrus
>>

>>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 5:46 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just sent a pull request with the first cut of the implementation. My plan
is to try this new implementation with my audit system and if it works well, apply it to master
(hopefully by then CAY-2028 will also be ready). The implementation I ended up with does not
have JSON serialization. Just pure objects. Here is how it works:

{
>>>   // do something with your changes
>>> }
>>> }
>>>
>>> 2. Configure Cayenne stack with "PostCommit" module:
>>>
>>> Module m = PostCommitModuleBuilder.builder().listener(L1.class);
>>> ServerRuntime r = ServerRuntimeBuilder
>>> .builder()
>>> .addConfig("cayenne-lifecycle.xml")
>>> .addModule(m)
>>> .build();
>>>

>>> PostCommitModuleBuilder supports a few non-default options, such as excluding
entities, entity properties, and hiding "confidential" property values, such as passwords
using the existing @Auditable annotation. Or you can write a custom PostCommitEntityFactory
to support your own annotations.