cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CM Thoughts
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:49:11 GMT
I spent a couple of years (2010-2011) writing my own standalone editor
using the eclipse platform and SWT.   Many of the details are now
foggy, but I'm fairly certain that you can write code that would be
mostly interchangeable between a standalone app and a plugin.
However, I haven't done any specific plug-in work to the traditional
eclipse IDE, but the architecture is identical, and I would imagine
it's possible.  I didn't hate it (most of the time) and I didn't love
it (most of the time), but I probably was able to get 95% of what I
wanted done, although it had a high learning curve.

I don't think the extra pain is worth the small gain it would get you
though.   If you can run eclipse on your machine, then you can always
run "java -jar bin/modeler.jar" easily enough.  But then I build all
of my generated classes using ant tasks rather than trying to do it
from the modeler directly, so I'm probably not a typical user.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Hugi Thordarson <hugi@karlmenn.is> wrote:
> Unfortunately I haven’t done any SWT/Eclipse development at all. If someone knows Mike
Schrag (the original creator of the Entity Modeler) he might have some insights into whether
it’s a sensible path?