cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: CM Thoughts
Date Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:25:59 GMT

> On Jan 8, 2016, at 2:49 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> On 8/01/2016 4:40am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> The argument in favor of a fresh UI toolkit is that our Swing app feels stale, and
this becomes a serious mental barrier to adoption. I have no idea how much JavaFX would help
to modernize it, but overall it seems like a logic *upgrade* path.

> Perhaps just replacing all the icons with new ones (from one of the many good libraries),
and adding @2x versions (Retina) of those icons would go about 80% of the way to making it
feel modern.

> How do you like:
>
>    http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/

This will be a good start I guess. Another thing is bevels and general look of controls. Is
that something that is easy to customize in JavaFX with CSS?

>> Next I'd like to see the modeling process to be less tedious, with the tool better
hiding modeling complexities. Currently we are attacking that indirectly by doing an end run
around manual modeling [1] by beefing up reverse engineering.

> Can you quantify which bits are tedious? To be honest, its been ages since I've created
a large model from scratch.

Attributes and relationships presentation and mapping. To many clicks, not enough information
in the main table (and trying to add extra columns using current Swing toolkit makes it too
overloaded). ObjRelationship path mapping is the most unintuitive part of it. (This is being
addressed per [1], which allows to do path mapping straight from the dropdown).

As others have mentioned, combining Obj and Db views should also help. So we need some UX
rework.

Andrus

[1] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/pull/77