cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: CM Thoughts
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 23:53:08 GMT
On 12/01/2016 2:23am, Hugi Thordarson wrote:
> EOF’s Entity Modeler is also provided as a standalone application. That seems like
a winning situation, where the modeler can be run either within the Eclipse environment or
as an app.

Not saying that SWT is dying, but it doesn't seem to be growing. In what I've seen, it is
similar to Swing: a legacy framework which works really well but isn't the focus of much new
attention. JavaFX is really where all the new work is going, both from Oracle and from third
party developers with plugins.

For example, here are the best-of-class proprietary calendar widgets:

Swing: http://migcalendar.com/  (solid, but no updates in over 3 years)
JavaFX: http://www.calendarfx.com/  (actively developed)

And for example, here is an open source control set: http://fxexperience.com/controlsfx/features/

On 12/01/2016 12:41am, Michael Gentry wrote:
> Last time I glanced at JFX, Oracle required you to build some of the
> developer tools (at least Scene Builder) yourself instead of supplying
> packages you could download/use.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/javafxscenebuilder-info-2157684.html

Ari

--