cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: CM Thoughts
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 07:49:51 GMT
On 8/01/2016 4:40am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> The argument in favor of a fresh UI toolkit is that our Swing app feels stale, and this
becomes a serious mental barrier to adoption. I have no idea how much JavaFX would help to
modernize it, but overall it seems like a logic *upgrade* path.

Perhaps just replacing all the icons with new ones (from one of the many good libraries),
and adding @2x versions (Retina) of those icons would go about 80% of the way to making it
feel modern.

How do you like:

    http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/

The license is SIL and in category B

    http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

If everyone is happy with that I'll go and pick out a set of icons for the major features.

> Next I'd like to see the modeling process to be less tedious, with the tool better hiding
modeling complexities. Currently we are attacking that indirectly by doing an end run around
manual modeling [1] by beefing up reverse engineering.

Can you quantify which bits are tedious? To be honest, its been ages since I've created a
large model from scratch.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis