cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: CM Thoughts
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2016 22:34:26 GMT
On 5/01/2016 11:58pm, Michael Gentry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to start a conversation about future improvements for CM.

Cool!

> My current wish list:
>
> - Java Entities
>     - Class Level:
>         - Ability to add extra imports.

This seems like something that should go into the velocity templates rather than the model.

>         - Ability to add interfaces implemented.

What would be the purpose of adding an interface to the _superclass when you need to implement
the methods in the subclass?

>         - Ability to add JavaDoc.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-400 is the beginning of this concept. I put some
time into it ages ago. And then I used it as a test when hiring a couple of new developers.
Bad sadly I never went back to tidy it all up and get it finished.

>         - Ability to add annotations.

Yes, that would be cool.

>     - Attribute Level:
>         - Ability to add JavaDoc.
>         - Ability to add annotations.
>     - Relationship Level:
>         - Ability to add JavaDoc.
>         - Ability to add annotations.
>         - Ability to drill-down through relationships.*

That would be really useful.

I think that's https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-400 again.

>         - Ability to drill-down through relationships.*
>
> * Llike EOModeler, in the left-hand navigation pane.  You could keep
> expanding the relationship tree to expose other entities/relationships.
>

> We've also previously chatted a bit about if we even want to keep
> maintaining the current form of CM.  If we did want to overhaul the
> implementation, what route should we go?
>
> - JFX  (Seems like Oracle's ugly stepchild and I question their commitment
> to it.)

I wouldn't judge it so harshly. I'm slowly moving a project from Swing to FX and there seems
to be a good amount of support and new functionality added in each Java release. Plus it doesn't
have to be an all at once migration.

> - SWT

I have no opinion there, but I didn't think that was a framework still in active development.

> - Eclipse Plugin (The WOLips route.)

JasperStudio went the same way and it seems to work for them. And I think Apache Directory
Studio might also be an Eclipse plugin. Being bound to someone else's application does seem
potentially dangerous (does the plugin break with every major release of Eclipse?).  Does
it increase the difficulty of new people hacking at the code... I think  that should be our
number one criteria: what's the easiest environment for new people to get involved?

> - Electron (Used by Atom and Visual Studio Code, among others.)

Never played with it.

> Your thoughts greatly appreciated!

To my mind, there is only a small gain in moving away from Swing and quite a bit of work.
But if you had the time to put into it, JavaFX is most likely to survive another 15 years
from the options you give above.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis