cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: work on ROP
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2015 07:31:03 GMT
Cayenne I think this will be counterproductive. We'll be rein

> On Dec 17, 2015, at 10:24 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

>> So how about implementing HttpClientConnection with JAX-RS? It will take care of
HTTP(S) as the wire protocol and will provide very clean pluggability layer (MessageBodyReader/MessageBodyWriter).
I very much like JAX-RS API, which works on both client and server. And certainly wouldn't
want to reimplement all this from scratch. I think this should be compatible with protobuf
(and maybe with Hessian), as well as JSON or anything else.

>> One thing I am not sure about is whether we can wrap HTTP/2 support around this?
>
> I'm unclear as to why Cayenne should have any knowledge of the connection at all. Why
should Cayenne care whether the connection between the client and server is HTTP, HTTP2, files
on disk, unix sockets or email mime attachments?

Cayenne doesn't, but Cayenne needs to have access to an object that does. ClientConnection
is this object now.

> I'd like a blob or stream of serialised data passed up to my application. Then the app
can decide how to transport, compress, encrypt and authenticate it.

> Can we create an interface which encapsulates just the data stream?

We can. It is not incompatible with JAX-RS idea. JAX-RS layer though will need to know about
HTTP details.

Andrus