cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: work on ROP
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2015 09:34:45 GMT
On 18/12/2015 6:28pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> I was thinking about this design some more.. This isolation between wire protocol and
serialization layer sounds great at some level, but has significant drawbacks too. It would
prevent us from building a truly RESTful service, as serializer can't manipulate URL, headers
or access media type information. Treating the underlying HTTP as blackbox was the mistake
SOAP made back in the day, which caused its undoing. So I am not sure we want to go this route.

Except that we are building a ROP service, not a restful service. ROP requires the use of
a Cayenne QueryMessage object to describe the resources we want to fetch, where REST would
describe that as a URL path. That's not what I'm trying to accomplish here since it gives
us minimal benefit when the client isn't a web browser.

Cayenne ROP currently has just two method calls. One to log in and create a session, and one
for everything else. All the data (which objects we are getting, updating, etc) are within
the serialised data stream itself and not in the URL or headers.

The only reason I'm wanting to keep http at all is because some nice stuff has been already
built on it for us. gzip, keep-alive and SSL are all pretty trivial over HTTP. Other than
those, we could just as easily be opening a raw TCP socket and pushing the data over that.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis