cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: ROP
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2015 10:05:39 GMT
On 14/12/2015 6:56pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> For technologies like Swift that don't have native drivers yet it provides JDBC driver.

Even Swift already has native database drivers, according to my quick search of github.

On 14/12/2015 7:00pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Though I guess the main motivation for Java ROP now is the ability to run code both on
the client and on the server, right?

Absolutely. Lifecycle events are important so that the server doesn't have to trust the client
to perform validation and authorisation, and also trigger other processes like audit trails.

Also important are clever query concepts like pagination and prefetches.

What could be better is integrated support for distributed caches and cache invalidation.
Or at least the hooks to make it easier to leverage ActiveMQ/EHCache/etc as a way to do these
things.

On 14/12/2015 7:18pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Another thing that I hoped to achieve in Cayenne is seamless reverse-engineering flow.
The biggest hurdle in ORM is the constant need to sync up multiple layers: DB -> ORM ->
code. Annotation-based frameworks combine ORM with code, somewhat easing the pain (though
making things dirty in the process). Our full separation of all 3 layers always seemed right.
But now I think of it as an advantage not being utilized.

I guess I'm not seeing that pain. I really should get around to cleaning up and contributing
my cgen plugin for gradle, but really this should all be automated by the build tool.

Perhaps we should work on some liquibase integration to help with the database update process.
We do this by hand, but it would be nice for cgen to detect the changes and append a liquibase
XML snippet.

> So the hope is that we can do better, and perhaps a zero-manitenance proxy is the answer
to the sync problem as well. But maybe I am on the wrong track completely by mixing modeling
and query execution aspects here.

> Anyways, just thinking out loud :)

If a proxy layer doesn't let you run code, then what does it do? You have Hessian serialisation
instead of SQL serialisation. You have HTTP instead of JDBC. But then what?

Certainly the limitation of ROP is that the client is currently limited to Java, which means
roughly Swing/JavaFX. Opening it up to other UI choices means porting a great part of Cayenne
(all the client bits are still quite a lot) to Swift or Android or .NET or something. But
(to bring this back on topic) protobuf does help there since the client and server can be
different languages.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis