cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: java/jdbc version
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2015 08:25:15 GMT
On 4/09/2015 6:02pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

>> On Sep 4, 2015, at 10:53 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>
>>> cayenne 4 is java 6. Will it go java 7+ or are we staying on 6? I want to use
the new java.sql.Connection#getSchema. It will probably require updated jdbc drivers and dbcp2
as well, so it might be easier to create our own adapter#getSchema(Connection). What do you
think?

>> I've been softly advocating to switch to Java 7 in 4.0 for some time. And I think
by now just enough time has passed to  consider Java 6 a distant memory.

>> IIRC Savva either started working or was planning to start working on a DBCP2 module,
so we should be covered on that front as well.

>> So maybe we take an (informal?) vote on this and go Java 7?
>
> Just found the last thread on this from a year ago:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.cayenne.devel/12754
>
> Other than IntelliJ IDEA being behind on OSX, there were no concerns. But even if IDEA
is running under Java 6, it can be used to develop Java 7 apps. So I think we should switch.

I was one of the "go more slowly" people back then. And that was largely predicated on the
difficulty of OSX and its Java implementation.

However since then things have changed. On OSX for most users Java 6 is a thing of the past,
and moving to Java 8 is simpler than it was. Swing on Java 8 is pretty good. And of course
Java 7SE is now EOL. So most OSX users have left Java 6 behind in my experience.

I'm guessing that for application servers, if you aren't upgrading Java past version 6, you
are probably not upgrading Cayenne to the latest milestone beta releases either.

So I'm a +1 on ditching Java 6, and even (if helpful) moving to Java 8 for just the modeler.
If we wanted to use JavaFX bits in the UI, that would be helpful.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis