cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Question about library (CAY-895)
Date Tue, 26 May 2015 00:17:08 GMT
Hi Helena

At work I have a commercial Swing project which is now about 9 years old. Although we evaluated
very many third party UI libraries from SwingX to commercial offerings, we ended up rejecting
them all and just building our own components. The way I see it:

* ALL swing libraries are doomed. That is, no-one is starting new projects in Swing and so
there is diminishing support for whatever libraries exist today. If they have support at the
moment, they will probably not have support next year.

* So, use a library if we are prepared to understand and support ourselves (or extract the
relevant parts).

* Or, recognise that somewhere in the not distant future of every Swing project is probably
a complete rewrite into JavaFX. Coincidentally my work project just this week is building
some test UI in JavaFX to see what the migration will be like. Hopefully I'll understand more
soon.

Also, remember that:

* We can write bits of UI in JavaFX and other bits we keep in Swing until we are ready. I'm
still exploring that myself, so I'm not sure of the limitations of this approach.

* Cayenne Modeler could probably be advanced to Java 8 (where the most recent UI improvements
are) even if the Cayenne library is held back to older Java versions.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17018562

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis