cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: new fluent API
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2015 08:57:10 GMT
From my experience I am also leaning towards append-only API. I think it is worth changing
the API with some deprecation to eliminate "override". I guess the only case where I am 50/50
on keeping override is "where".

> On Apr 15, 2015, at 11:48 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

>>> On Apr 15, 2015, at 11:06 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> This can be useful when you pass queries around between functions or inside conditions
and loops. In my opinion, "where" should be an alias of "and".

>> So right now it is the opposite - "and" and "or" are both aliases to "where" when
there's no qualifier.

> Yes. Most operations replace the existing query properties (where, orderBy, prefetch,
cacheGroups, etc) where others append to them (and, or).

> Personally, from my limited use of them in a real application, the appending mode seems
far more useful. I can't think of an occasion I'd ever want the replace option. It makes some
code harder to write since you need to know whether you already have a where, ordering or
prefetch already added.

> Another approach might be to have the ability to clear existing properties, with one
of these syntaxes:

> query.prefetchClear()
> query.prefetch()
>
> I still can't think of the sort of application that would require this.
>

> I probably should have raised these use-cases before our last milestone but it really
was putting it into a live application that made me think about this more in this way.