cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: new fluent API
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:06:40 GMT
On 15/04/2015 6:57pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> From my experience I am also leaning towards append-only API. I think it is worth changing
the API with some deprecation to eliminate "override". I guess the only case where I am 50/50
on keeping override is "where".

Deprecation might be awkward here and still keep nice short clear names. For me I'm very much
in favour of 'where' being append-only. In fact that was the use case that started my thinking
in the first place. On the plus side:

1. It works like Rails
2. It makes sense when read aloud as English:  query.where(something).where(somethingElse).
3. It makes adding queries in a loop/conditionals easier

On the other side:

1. You can still write all your code with "and" and never use "where"
2. There is some use case I can't think of where you want to replace your query before you
execute it.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis