cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: SQLExec query
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:26:57 GMT

> On Jan 25, 2015, at 7:43 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
>   List<QueryResult> execute(Query)
>
> under what circumstances when this isn't a 'select' query will we get a list of results?

This form is most generic - it can be a mix of multiple update counts and result lists. Mostly
happens with stored procedures, but in theory can happen with some multi-statement arbitrary
raw SQL:

https://github.com/andrus/cayenne/blob/sqlexec/cayenne-server/src/main/java/org/apache/cayenne/QueryResult.java

> If these are to mirror the select api, should they look like
>
>   int[] update(Query)
>   int updateOne(Query)

Good point... I sorta wanted to highlight the batch aspect... But perhaps we don't even need
an int[] variety and should expand batch counts into individual QueryResult's. Batch update
is just a special case of "multi-part" query I guess.

Andrus