cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: setter for toMany in generated classes
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:19:40 GMT
In a few of our projects I created a custom template that added a to-many
setter, but ours threw an exception if you called it on an already
populated relationship.  This made sense for our domain, as we were doing
massive XML->Java (Cayenne objects) and wanted to be sure the
transformation tool we were using was not calling the setter multiple times
(which would indicate a problem in our mappings/etc).  When I'm actually
managing the relationships, I tend to prefer doing the adds/removes/deletes
explicitly, but that's just my preference.

I know other times we've had to sync from an external data source which
required loading the Cayenne objects, loading the external data, and
figuring out what needed to be inserted/deleted.  This always ended up
being more trouble that you'd think and perhaps having sync operation on
the to-many setter would've been helpful, but you still have the deletion
question to handle, too.  I suppose this could be another parameter.

mrg