cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Chainable SelectQuery
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2014 06:30:20 GMT
I am personally of the same opinion re: milestone API evolution.

So we have "exp" -> "where" change, which I'll make. What is everyone's thought on "select"
-> "find" change?

Andrus

> On Nov 17, 2014, at 3:00 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> On 17/11/2014 1:13am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> It depends. Most of the new API is very new and can be changed with no consequences.
Some was already present in 3.2M1 a year ago (ObjectContext.select(..), Property). Still can
change, but early adopters will be affected.

> I'm a big +1 on breaking things for early adopters where the result is better naming
and a better API. I think the method names chosen are very important to the usability of a
library for a newcomer.

> I also think we should not leave too much deprecated mess around from milestone releases.
A one off change when a user goes from M1 to M2 is really not that painful. Obviously we need
to be more conservative about breaking things from 3.1 release, so I'm only talking about
the milestone releases here.

> "where" is much clearer than "exp" and we've already discussed that there is a bit of
confusion between 'qualifier', 'expression' and 'filter'.