cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Variations of 'like'
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:08:10 GMT
Not only readability, but also picking the right options.

For me, code completion on a method name is the quickest way to work
through chained query options.   An enum argument is also workable,
but extra typing.   But a generic type like int or boolean makes it
difficult to figure out what to specify without looking up the
documentation.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Andrus Adamchik
<andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> enum also makes it needlessly verbose :-/
>
> But yeah, I take your point.
>

>> On Nov 21, 2014, at 5:56 PM, Michael Gentry <mgentry@masslight.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'd avoid true/false for that purpose.  We had the same thing in
>> orderings before I changed it to an enum.  I'd specify it in the
>> method name or use an enum that makes sense when reading it.
>>
>> mrg

>>> yep.

>>> Probably as a second true/false argument? I started to dislike the look of "likeIgnoreCase"
recently :)

>>> Property.contains(string);
>>> Property.contains(string, true);
>>> Property.contains(string, false);
>>>

>>> Andrus

the client Cayenne apps. An argument to Property.like(..) (or second argument to ExpressionFactory.likeExp(..))
requires a full pattern to match against. So people would often write their own utility code
to wrap a String in "%" signs. Cayenne can easily take care of this via the following methods:

can do proper symbol escaping, making "like" much safer to use.