cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Variations of 'like'
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2014 14:56:55 GMT
I'd avoid true/false for that purpose.  We had the same thing in
orderings before I changed it to an enum.  I'd specify it in the
method name or use an enum that makes sense when reading it.

mrg

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> So are you thinking something like:
>> Artist.ARTIST_NAME.contains("Van")?
>
> yep.
>
>> Also, what about
>> case-insensitive?
>
> Probably as a second true/false argument? I started to dislike the look of "likeIgnoreCase"
recently :)

> Property.contains(string);
> Property.contains(string, true);
> Property.contains(string, false);
>

> Andrus
>

>> On Nov 21, 2014, at 5:33 PM, Michael Gentry <mgentry@masslight.net> wrote:
>>
>> I 'like' this.
>>
>> So are you thinking something like:
>> Artist.ARTIST_NAME.contains("Van")?  Also, what about
>> case-insensitive?
>>
>> mrg
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>> Another API idea that I just had while analyzing boilerplate code of the client
Cayenne apps. An argument to Property.like(..) (or second argument to ExpressionFactory.likeExp(..))
requires a full pattern to match against. So people would often write their own utility code
to wrap a String in "%" signs. Cayenne can easily take care of this via the following methods:

>>> Property.contains(string);
>>> // same as Property.like("%" + string + "%");
>>>
>>> Property.startsWith(string);
>>> // same as Property.like(string + "%");
>>>
>>> Property.endsWith(string);
>>> // same as Property.like("%" + string);
>>>
>>> In addition to saving the user from String concatenation, these new methods can
do proper symbol escaping, making "like" much safer to use.