cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Variations of 'like'
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2014 14:33:24 GMT
I 'like' this.

So are you thinking something like:
Artist.ARTIST_NAME.contains("Van")?  Also, what about
case-insensitive?

mrg

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> Another API idea that I just had while analyzing boilerplate code of the client Cayenne
apps. An argument to Property.like(..) (or second argument to ExpressionFactory.likeExp(..))
requires a full pattern to match against. So people would often write their own utility code
to wrap a String in "%" signs. Cayenne can easily take care of this via the following methods:

> Property.contains(string);
> // same as Property.like("%" + string + "%");
>
> Property.startsWith(string);
> // same as Property.like(string + "%");
>
> Property.endsWith(string);
> // same as Property.like("%" + string);
>
> In addition to saving the user from String concatenation, these new methods can do proper
symbol escaping, making "like" much safer to use.