cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Variations of 'like'
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:02:31 GMT
enum also makes it needlessly verbose :-/

But yeah, I take your point.

> On Nov 21, 2014, at 5:56 PM, Michael Gentry <mgentry@masslight.net> wrote:
>
> I'd avoid true/false for that purpose.  We had the same thing in
> orderings before I changed it to an enum.  I'd specify it in the
> method name or use an enum that makes sense when reading it.
>
> mrg
>

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>> So are you thinking something like:
>>> Artist.ARTIST_NAME.contains("Van")?
>>
>> yep.
>>
>>> Also, what about
>>> case-insensitive?
>>
>> Probably as a second true/false argument? I started to dislike the look of "likeIgnoreCase"
recently :)

>> Property.contains(string);
>> Property.contains(string, true);
>> Property.contains(string, false);
>>

>> Andrus
>>

>>> On Nov 21, 2014, at 5:33 PM, Michael Gentry <mgentry@masslight.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I 'like' this.
>>>
>>> So are you thinking something like:
>>> Artist.ARTIST_NAME.contains("Van")?  Also, what about
>>> case-insensitive?
>>>
>>> mrg

client Cayenne apps. An argument to Property.like(..) (or second argument to ExpressionFactory.likeExp(..))
requires a full pattern to match against. So people would often write their own utility code
to wrap a String in "%" signs. Cayenne can easily take care of this via the following methods:

can do proper symbol escaping, making "like" much safer to use.