cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Gentry <mgen...@masslight.net>
Subject Re: Chainable SelectQuery
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2014 19:08:20 GMT
Yeah, I don't know if changing setXyz to *not* return 'void' would
break things (like Tapestry).  That would be a huge downer.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> I thought of that. Unfortunately "setXyz" is a 'java bean' setter, so we'll be redefining
one of the most established Java conventions.

> Andrus
>
> On Oct 9, 2014, at 2:51 PM, Michael Gentry <mgentry@masslight.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if it will be confusing or not.  At least with the
>> current method names, I can type query.set[ctrl+space] and let Eclipse
>> give me a list of set* method names to choose from (same applies for
>> get*), but that option won't be available with the new chainable API.
>> Part of me thinks just make setFetchLimit() return 'this' (at least
>> where it makes sense to preserve existing API):
>>
>> query.setFetchLimit(100).setDistinct(true);
>>
>> You could continue that in the model objects, too:
>>
>> person.setFirstName("John").setLastName("Doe");
>>
>> mrg

>>> I suspect having both will be rather confusing. Initially I even wanted to leave
SelectQuery alone and implement all the new ideas in a separate query class (ObjectQuery?),
but since we've already made a bunch of changes to SelectQuery in the same direction, I ended
up with a massive change to the existing class.