cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Pull requests on Jenkins
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:58:00 GMT
> OK, what I did:

Awesome.

> This error looks a lot like a race condition between the setup of the test database and
the order the tests run in.

Most certainly.

> Are we sure:
>
> * the tests always run in the same order

No. Resetting the DB is currently hardcoded per test, so due to subtle bugs in copy/paste
of the boilerplate code it is order-dependent. Redoing this (esp. in the view of Junit 4 upgrade)
is on the list. Until then we'd chase them one by one. Considering that we have hundreds of
tests, this is a losing battle.

> * the tests aren't running in parallel

At least within one mvn execution they are sequential. And I don't think hsql/derby in-memory
would allow multiple processes to connect to the same DB.

Andrus

On Oct 23, 2014, at 7:13 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
> OK, what I did:
>
> 1. Added Java 8 to our builds
> https://builds.apache.org/job/cayenne-master/
>
> 2. Set up junit test failures to be reported more clearly
> https://builds.apache.org/job/Cayenne%20pull%20requests/lastBuild/testReport/
>
> 3. Derby/Java 8 is now always built first and if it fails, then the other matrix jobs
are not attempted

> 4. Set up a job to build every pull request at github. That's just Java 8 with the default
db (is that derby?)
> https://builds.apache.org/job/Cayenne%20pull%20requests
>

> For test failures like this one:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/cayenne-master/53/cayenneTestConnection=derby,jdk=jdk-1.8.0,label=Ubuntu/testReport/org.apache.cayenne.access/DataContextClobTest/testNullClob/
>
> Are we sure:
>
> * the tests always run in the same order
> * the tests aren't running in parallel
>
> This error looks a lot like a race condition between the setup of the test database and
the order the tests run in.

> Ari
>

> On 24/10/2014 2:06am, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>> I just did that a few hours ago. Hadn't quite got around to telling everyone :-)
>>
>> I also added Java 8 to our regular builds and set up the unit tests to report more
clearly. I was hoping to see why we get so many failures.  I don't know if it is Jenkins or
just race conditions in our tests.

>> Ari
>>

>> On 23/10/2014 10:09pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>> https://builds.apache.org/job/Cayenne%20pull%20requests/
>>>
>>> Didn't know we had those setup on Jenkins. Was it us or was it done by infra?
>>>
>>> And too bad we have ongoing Jenkins flakiness with regular builds; otherwise
this tool would have been very useful.