cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Chainable SelectQuery
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2014 21:50:12 GMT

On Oct 11, 2014, at 9:02 AM, Michael Gentry <mgentry@masslight.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> 6. Corollary to #5, we should explore iterator methods in query chains (need to make
sure that we don't reinvent the wheels invented in Java 8).

> Hi Andrus,
>
> I couldn't tell from your #6 if you were saying we should be requiring
> Java 8's lambdas or try to do something similar in a lower version of
> Java.

More like checking that the new fluent API doesn't look unnatural under Java 8 that itself
has "stream" API.

> Given that our current minimum Java requirement is 1.5, that
> would be quite a leap, at least from our user's perspective.  I know
> from my own uses that I'm still on Java 1.6 (although trying to
> upgrade to 1.7) at work and Java 1.7 at home.

3.1 minimum requirement is 1.5. 3.2 actually requires 1.6 [1], and I was going to revive our
1.7 switchover discussion. But not suggesting to switch to Java 8 at this time. We may introduce
a Java 8 module soon that will feature ExtendedTypes for the new datetime package [2]. But
that'll be optional, kind of like our earlier support of enums, while the base Cayenne was
on Java 1.4.

Andrus

[1] http://markmail.org/message/636xe57yupcw45ya
[2] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/datetime/index.html