cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Chainable SelectQuery
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2014 19:03:42 GMT
I thought of that. Unfortunately "setXyz" is a 'java bean' setter, so we'll be redefining one
of the most established Java conventions.

Andrus

On Oct 9, 2014, at 2:51 PM, Michael Gentry <mgentry@masslight.net> wrote:

> I don't know if it will be confusing or not.  At least with the
> current method names, I can type query.set[ctrl+space] and let Eclipse
> give me a list of set* method names to choose from (same applies for
> get*), but that option won't be available with the new chainable API.
> Part of me thinks just make setFetchLimit() return 'this' (at least
> where it makes sense to preserve existing API):
>
> query.setFetchLimit(100).setDistinct(true);
>
> You could continue that in the model objects, too:
>
> person.setFirstName("John").setLastName("Doe");
>
> mrg
>

> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

>>> I was looking at the changes and was wondering if we really need to
>>> deprecate the old methods.  Can't setFetchLimit() live along with
>>> limit()?
>>
>> I suspect having both will be rather confusing. Initially I even wanted to leave
SelectQuery alone and implement all the new ideas in a separate query class (ObjectQuery?),
but since we've already made a bunch of changes to SelectQuery in the same direction, I ended
up with a massive change to the existing class.