cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Java 1.7 for 4.0 .. again
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:11:19 GMT

> On Oct 27, 2014, at 2:17 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

> It is worth noting that Intellij is still bound to Java 6. You can try running it in
Java 7/8 but there are still quite a few bugs.

Heh, so we are the pioneers of Java 7 on Mac with japp-maven-plugin [1] and CayenneModeler
:)

> Many (most?) Swing apps on OSX seem to have stuck with Java 6, perhaps because of the
difficulty of explaining to users why they need to run a different bundle.

While I am not familiar with full stats on this, it is actually quite easy to ship a JRE (7
or 8) with your Swing app and make it independent of the underlying system Java if you don't
mind adding an extra 150MB to the download. Not saying *we* should do it, just a general observation.

> As for the cayenne library itself... from a personal point of view I've moved everything
to Java 7 so it doesn't affect me, but I don't think Cayenne is the type of library that should
move too fast. What do we gain by moving? I can't think of anything in Java 7 that would help
us. And it will disenfranchise some users.

While I'd love to start using diamond syntax and try-with-resources in our own code, the reason
I am advocating the switch is mainly testing and support costs. We are to start supporting
Java 8 as a separate module soon (datetime classes for instance). This means dev environment
will switch to Java 8, making it easier to mess things up in non-Java8 modules. Java 7 is
somewhat closer to 8, making it somewhat more manageable.

Also this is a bit of a projection based on our history, I'd say 4.0 beta is 1 year away,
and 4.0 final is probably 2 years away. So there's hope that no one will remember Java 6 by
then.

Maybe while we continue this conversation here, I should cross-post to user and also start
a poll on Twitter (?)

Andrus

[1] https://github.com/andrus/japp-maven-plugin