cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: cayenne-crypto
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2014 08:14:07 GMT
Out of curiosity, if you can discuss, what are you using this for? Is this some sort of PCI
DSS compliance, or privacy or health? Do you get any real security (since all the objects
must exist in plain text everywhere between Cayenne/html rendering engine/servlets/container/proxy
until the SSL layer kicks in). Or is this to prevent the DBA from poking their nose where
it should not be?

Are you seeing the AES encryption performance to be symmetrical between select and insert?

Ari

On 7/04/2014 4:56pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Also some early performance data. In my tests with a local DB and a mix of select/insert
operations using AES with 128-bit key wasn’t noticeably slower than using no encryption
at all. Using 256-bit key resulted in 10% overhead. While these are great results, take it
with a grain of salt for now until we get more use cases and start using it in production.

> Andrus
>

> On Apr 4, 2014, at 3:21 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>
>> So the crypto module is done and available on trunk. Here is a minimal configuration
that will do AES/CBC encryption:

>> 1. Create a keystore and generate a secret key in it:
>>
>>  keytool -genseckey -keystore /tmp/ks1.jceks -storetype JCEKS -alias mykey
>>
>> 2. Start Cayenne with crypto:
>>
>>  // this can also be a URL or a String representing URL
>>  File keyStore = new File("/tmp/ks1.jceks”);
>>
>>  // obtain this somehow
>>  char[] keyPassword = ..
>>
>>  // “mykey” is the key alias in #1
>>  Module crypto = new CryptoModuleBuilder().keyStore(keyStore, keyPassword, “mykey").build();
>>
>>  // this will enable encryption/decryption for all columns matching ^CRYPTO_ regex
>>  // those must be either character or binary columns
>>  ServerRuntime  runtime = new ServerRuntime(“cayenne-myproject.xml", crypto);
>>

>> So just 3 lines of code give you the encryption. Of course it is fully customizable.
See ‘CryptoModuleBuilder’ for what can be extended. Also the code is pretty raw, so it
may break or may be refactored as we find bugs. I still need to study the performance and
tweak as needed. Also there are certain strategies are not yet available. E.g. we only support
block ciphers in CBC mode (as this is what I am planning to use in my apps). We will add support
for ECB and also streaming ciphers eventually.

--
Aristedes Maniatis