cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Java 8
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2014 07:18:21 GMT

On Mar 21, 2014, at 6:52 PM, John Huss <johnthuss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Java 8 also includes the new Date & Time API (JSR-310), which should
> probably be supported in Cayenne eventually.  It's very similar to Joda
> from what I hear.

BTW, with DI we have a much easier mechanism to develop and maintain JDK-specific extensions.
Previously we’d try to use some classpath magic to enable/disable JDK-specific features.

Now we'd just create a separate Maven module with a Cayenne DI Module class in it that bootstraps
Java 8 stuff. Then a user would pass this module when creating his ServerRuntime. Very clean
and deterministic.

> if dropping support for Java 6 speeds up the process of getting to Java 8 then it might
be worth it.

I think it will speed up the process (even considering what I said above). I guess we’ll
just sit on it for another 6-12 months, and by then many more people abandon Java 6. So dropping
it won’t be as painful for the users as it is now.

Andrus