cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: cayenne-crypto
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2014 13:42:46 GMT

On Apr 5, 2014, at 4:23 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:

> 1. At the moment Cayenne is clever enough not to save objects to the database if no actual
changes are made to that object in the context. Will this encryption change this in any way?
Will Cayenne still know which objects are unchanged?

Yes. The main design decision was to do it below the object layer. It all happens at the Cayenne/JDBC
boundary. So nothing changes at the user API side.

> 2. Why did you decide to go down the regex path instead of some annotation or property
in the model to decide which columns to encrypt?

It was just the simplest thing to implement :) We will likely provide alternatives eventually
and anyone can hack their own:

  builder.columnMapper(MyMapper.class);

> 3. What happens with searching on these columns? Does your patch address any strategy
to perform queries in memory or is that up to the developer to sort out?

There’s no special “search-in-memory” until we implement in-memory queries. But of course
Expression.filterObjects(..) will work for manual matching, as the objects are decrypted.

Andrus