cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: Information for GSOC 2014
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2014 05:12:32 GMT
Hi Eshan

We will need to confirm whether we can add a project at this late stage, and who might be
available to mentor. However, please throw your ideas out there and we'll see what sticks.
We are always ready to accept anything to improve Cayenne, as long as it fits into the broad
project goals.

And that goes for anyone else lurking out there. Don't be shy in suggesting things which you
would like to see, or submitting patches for improvements.

Cheers
Ari Maniatis

On 17/03/2014 2:38pm, Eshan Sudharaka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I understood the points you guys are highlighted. And if some one is
> willing to mentoring I would like to work on another project idea.
>
> Thanks
>

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Robert Zeigler <
> robert.zeigler@roxanemy.com> wrote:
>
>> I third not going down the annotation route. Frankly, I don't find the
>> relationship annotations intuitive/easy-to-read at all. :) There are
>> significant differences in the "default" cayenne behavior and default JPA
>> behavior (one simple example: Cayenne assumes you want reverse
>> relationships mapped. Reverse relationships in JPA/Hibernate are, IMO , a
>> PITA. At least they were the last time I used them). Having used both
>> Hibernate and Cayenne significantly, each has their merits... but it's nice
>> to have a different philosophy in the ORM space. It helps spur innovation
>> and avoid "group think" about the "best" way to do ORM. Also,
>> annotation-driven "POJOs" are a major pain to debug because they completely
>> invert the object inheritance, and it's really messed up. :)
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> On Mar 14, 2014, at 3/142:22 AM , Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Eshan,
>>>
>>> Good to see you back :)
>>>
>>> I second Ari about annotations. I can think of a few ways to simplify
>> Cayenne mapping, but annotations is not one of them. We are actually using
>> annotations, just not for ORM. Not basing our product on annotations gives
>> us:
>>>
>>> * Generic persistent object.
>>> * No fake POJO - Cayenne objects are "real".
>>> * Great startup performance.
>>>
>>> Re: JPA. We made an effort to implement a Cayenne-based JPA provider in
>> the past [1], and actually got pretty far with it. Looking back though, it
>> was a waste of time and clearly showed that if we want to preserve our
>> philosophy (mainly ObjectContext approach), we should keep going our own
>> way, and don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole. Actually once we
>> abandoned the JPA work, lots of innovations have blossomed in Cayenne land
>> (DI, property expressions to name a few).
>>>
>>> So I personally have no interest in either of these ideas. But of course
>> we have many more other projects :)
>>>

>>> Now a practical question - anyone in the community is ready to mentor a
>> GSOC project? Unfortunately I am out - just don't have bandwidth. I am not
>> even sure if we've already missed the boat with our application this year?
> [...]
GSOC