cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Zeigler <robert.zeig...@roxanemy.com>
Subject Re: Upgraded to JUnit 4
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2014 22:32:19 GMT

On Mar 29, 2014, at 3/295:09 PM , Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Test dependencies is probably the biggest one.
>
> Tests grouping (easier in TestNG)
>
> Parameterized Tests (easier in TestNG, although I haven't used this
> one yet, but I have several junit3 tests that try to do similar
> things)

Have used parameterized tests a lot. Love them.

Robert

> Lots of small things, like not requiring static methods in TestNG for
> certain kinds of setup.
>

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Andrus Adamchik
> <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> We are using Mockito in Cayenne.
>>
>> As for TestNG, I recall we did a research some time ago and found a few things that
we might take advantage of in Cayenne. Just don't remember what those are :)

>> Andrus
>>
>> On Mar 29, 2014, at 4:00 PM, Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For what it's worth, I upgraded my cayenne project from junit 3.8.1 to
>>> junit4 a couple of weeks ago.
>>>
>>> After a couple of days, I decided that upgrading to TestNG made more
>>> sense, as it supports everything that junit4 did plus a lot more.  The
>>> latest versions of TestNG will also run junit tests -- all 1500 of my
>>> tests are running under it.
>>>
>>> A couple of other testing libraries that I have found to be extremely
>>> helpful are Mockito and fest.   Mockito has greatly reduced the amount
>>> of work I needed to write tests, and fest has made the assertions
>>> human-readable.  No more wondering whether I switched expected with
>>> actual.

need to rewrite all our existing tests to use annotations. I had to do some non-test file
renaming though, so that surefire-plugin does not attempt to run them as tests.

new features in JUnit 4, and eventually clean up our cross-DB test hacks.