cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Information for GSOC 2014
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2014 07:22:51 GMT
Hi Eshan,

Good to see you back :)

I second Ari about annotations. I can think of a few ways to simplify Cayenne mapping, but
annotations is not one of them. We are actually using annotations, just not for ORM. Not basing
our product on annotations gives us:

* Generic persistent object.
* No fake POJO - Cayenne objects are “real”.
* Great startup performance.

Re: JPA. We made an effort to implement a Cayenne-based JPA provider in the past [1], and
actually got pretty far with it. Looking back though, it was a waste of time and clearly showed
that if we want to preserve our philosophy (mainly ObjectContext approach), we should keep
going our own way, and don’t try to fit a square peg in a round hole. Actually once we abandoned
the JPA work, lots of innovations have blossomed in Cayenne land (DI, property expressions
to name a few).

So I personally have no interest in either of these ideas. But of course we have many more
other projects :)

Now a practical question - anyone in the community is ready to mentor a GSOC project? Unfortunately
I am out - just don’t have bandwidth. I am not even sure if we’ve already missed the boat
with our application this year? Any takers?

Cheers,
Andrus

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAYJPA/Index