cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Aristedes Maniatis <...@maniatis.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 3.1RC1
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:02:41 GMT
Well, ideally we'd release out of a completely reproducible environment like Jenkins. That's
what I do at work and it is much more reliable.

I'm not sure about exactly how stable the Apache Jenkins is, but it seems to be better. Ideally
we build and release from the 1.5 JDK to be absolutely sure. I don't know if the newer javac
introduced optimisations which are backward compatible.

Ari

On 18/02/2014 5:48am, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> No, that's fine.  It shouldn't block the release.
>
> I'd prefer we used the same jdk to build the release for all systems,
> but perhaps that's not practical.
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> So Mike, unless you'd like to follow up on that cross-JDK binary build, I am going
to post a release announcement on user@. To me the important piece that guarantees valid binary
assemblies regardless of JDK is this:

>> <plugin>
>> <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>> <version>2.3.2</version>
>> <configuration>
>>         <source>1.5</source>
>>         <target>1.5</target>
>> </configuration>
>> </plugin>
>>

>> Andrus
>>
>> On Feb 16, 2014, at 10:37 PM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I should've waited for your vote and thanks a lot for doing a thorough
review.

>>> Yeah, lately we've been using gpg for that instead of md5 command:
>>>
>>> gpg --print-md MD5 cayenne-X.X.tar.gz

>>> Of course. The same set of sources is used on Mac to build .dmg and .tar.gz and
then on Windows to build .zip. My two envs happened to have different JDKs. So that's causing
these small difference. I'd say there are no essential differences to worry about (although
I'll try to keep my JDKs in sync across platforms in the future).

>>> In fact we make a claim that Cayenne 3.1 is compatible with Java 1.5. So if there
was no backwards compatibility, we would've been forced to use JDK 1.5. If we actually see
a problem, we should definitely pull the binary and redo it, but I don't think we will.

>>> Andrus

will post the files now and update the downloads page.

--
Aristedes Maniatis