cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 3.1RC1
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 08:47:21 GMT
The most obvious potential source of incompatibility when compiling with a newer JDK, targeting
an older one is overlooking code referencing newer APIs. Such code will compile, but fail
in runtime with ClassNotFound or similar exceptions. Luckily we are protected from that by
Jenkins already.

Andrus

On Feb 18, 2014, at 11:02 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@maniatis.org> wrote:
> Well, ideally we'd release out of a completely reproducible environment like Jenkins.
That's what I do at work and it is much more reliable.

> I'm not sure about exactly how stable the Apache Jenkins is, but it seems to be better.
Ideally we build and release from the 1.5 JDK to be absolutely sure. I don't know if the newer
javac introduced optimisations which are backward compatible.

> Ari
>

> On 18/02/2014 5:48am, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
>> No, that's fine.  It shouldn't block the release.
>>
>> I'd prefer we used the same jdk to build the release for all systems,
>> but perhaps that's not practical.
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>> So Mike, unless you'd like to follow up on that cross-JDK binary build, I am
going to post a release announcement on user@. To me the important piece that guarantees valid
binary assemblies regardless of JDK is this:

>>> <plugin>
>>> <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>>> <version>2.3.2</version>
>>> <configuration>
>>>        <source>1.5</source>
>>>        <target>1.5</target>
>>> </configuration>
>>> </plugin>
>>>

>>> Andrus

and then on Windows to build .zip. My two envs happened to have different JDKs. So that's
causing these small difference. I'd say there are no essential differences to worry about
(although I'll try to keep my JDKs in sync across platforms in the future).

if there was no backwards compatibility, we would've been forced to use JDK 1.5. If we actually
see a problem, we should definitely pull the binary and redo it, but I don't think we will.

I will post the files now and update the downloads page.