cayenne-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne[Modeler] on Linux
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2013 14:11:27 GMT
Apparently, ~/.local/share/applications is probably the better
location to use for this.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a linux Cayenne user (and really, as a user on any platform), I
> don't see the point of installing Cayenne as an RPM or with any kind
> of installer.   Different projects require different versions of
> Cayenne, and I wouldn't want an automatic upgrade changing the version
> on me.
>
> As for a desktop app, I think all that you have to do is create a
> CayenneModeller.desktop file and copy it to the Desktop folder.   This
> is under OpenSUSE Mate (previously Gnome) but I think it also works
> for KDE and other window managers.
>
> Here's an example of an entry I created for Eclipse:
>

> mkienenb@linux-4eqv:~/Desktop> cat eclipse.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Eclipse
> X-SuSE-translate=true
> Categories=Development;IDE;
> Exec=/home/mkienenb/Apps/eclipse/eclipse.sh -vm /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_34/bin/java
> GenericName=Eclipse IDE
> X-KDE-StartupNotify=true
> MimeType=application/x-designer;
> Icon=/home/mkienenb/Apps/eclipse/eclipse128.png
> Type=Application
> Comment[en_US]=see eclipse.ini for command-line args
> GenericName[en_US]=Eclipse IDE
>
> Here's one I just threw together for Cayenne Modeler.   I don't
> pretend to be an expert on what all of the parameters mean, so some of
> them may be wrong.
>
> mkienenb@linux-4eqv:~/Desktop> cat CayenneModeler.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Cayenne 3.1 Modeler
> X-SuSE-translate=true
> Categories=Development;Programming
> Exec=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_34/bin/java -jar
> /home/mkienenb/java/cayenne-3.1B2/bin/CayenneModeler.jar
> GenericName=Cayenne 3.1 Modeler
> X-KDE-StartupNotify=true
> MimeType=application/x-designer;
> Icon=/home/mkienenb/workspaces/cayenne-checkout/STABLE-3.1/modeler/cayenne-modeler/src/main/resources/org/apache/cayenne/modeler/images/CayenneModeler.jpg
> Type=Application
> Comment[en_US]=
> GenericName[en_US]=Cayenne 3.1 Modeler
>
> However, when I tried to use $JAVA_HOME/bin/java, that failed, so you
> probably cannot have a path based on an environment variable, which
> means you would need to create it with a shell script rather than just
> drag it onto your desktop.
>
> If you copy it into /usr/share/applications, it shows up in the menus
> on my system, with Categories controlling which menus.
>

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>> So now we are talking about installer, i.e. something a level up from just a desktop
app packager. I wonder if having an .rpm and friends will do more harm than good, with blanket
system updates upgrading Cayenne to a version not compatible with the user apps (Cayenne is
not a system component after all, it is a dev library).

>> I wish there was something on Linux similar to OS X app bundle that would allow people
to drag a single folder from tar.gz to Desktop and get a launcher with a Cayenne icon, not
just a jar. I haven’t followed Linux desktop development lately. Maybe there is such solution?

>> Andrus
>>

>> On Dec 1, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Adrian A. <a.adrian.tech@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,

[1], which has become again a modern cross-platform tool to assemble Java desktop apps.